From:
Helen Vermilya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 19:08:03 -0500
Last week we had a supplement to our newspaper for breast cancer awareness
month.  Of course, drawing of breast self exam, mammograms and the like
were shown.  My question is -If this can be shown in the local newspaper,
why oh why, aren't babies who are breastfeeding shown. My coworker, an
aspiring IBCLC, thinks it won't work.  If this was discussed before forgive
me, but I am having a difficult time accepting this. How can we promote
breastfeeding if we can't show breastfeeding as normal? How can we promote
breastfeeding if we cannot put that breastfeeding is normal and its
advantages on TV not necessarily showing breastfeeding (I think it would be
a beautiful picture)but just showing beautiful healthy babies and mothers?
Why can women be shown in the skimpest attire with all but the nipple
showing and say this is ok but not showing a discrete mother breastfeeding.
Please forgive me if I am overreacting. Just getting this off my
breasts,oops, chest.
Helen RNC IBCLC
Williamsport, PA