From:
Tami Karnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 09:20:55 -0700
Hello All,
I needed to take a few minutes to respond to the post of yesterday stating
the Milk Thistle is NOT a detoxifier.  First of all, I'd like to say that I
joined this list at the request of one of the members in order to offer
information on herbs and herbal therapies.  I do not participate on this
list for love, money or fame - simply because I was asked to.  Secondly, I
do not ever COMMAND someone to start or stop taking an herbal supplement.
My opinion was specifically asked for and given.  My response was based not
only on book information but on practical experience.  Often it is necessary
to think about more than just what a book tells us about a particular herb.
In my experience, as an herbal practitioner, I have been in contact with
several people who have started taking milk thistle, for one reason or
another.  Within a short period, they have become very ill.  Not only did
noone tell them about milk thistle's effect on the liver, but they had a
history of liver toxicity that was not considered before taking the
supplement.  Since the original post requesting information on milk thistle
did not state this Mom's history with alcohol or drug consumption, or any
history of any kind, I believe in better-safe-than-sorry advise (especially
with pregnant or lactating women).  Depending upon a person's medical
history the effect of milk thistle can vary greatly from person to person
(as with any supplement, because every body is different).
Lastly, to site book information on this herb.  Michael Tierra, C.A., N.D.
states that milk thistle is effective against chronic liver cirrhosis,
necroses and hepatitis A and B and that it lowers fat deposits in the liver
by its regeneration action on the liver.  He also states that milk thistle
is prized for its powerfully regenerative effects upon the liver cells and
for removing liver stagnation.  And, M. Grieve states that milk thistle seed
is effective against jaundice, liver stagnation and as a general blood cleanser.
Bearing all this in mind, I would not change my recommendation that in cases
of uncertainty of medical history, I would not recommend milk thistle as a
galactogogue.  The herbs that I have, in the past, and will in the future,
recommend for increasing mother's milk production are Blessed Thistle,
Fenugreek, Fennel and Anise.

Wishing you health and wellness!

Tami Karnes,                            One With Nature
Certified Herbalist                     P.O. Box 1724
Sedona, AZ                              Sedona, AZ  86339-1724
[log in to unmask]                       (800) 230-5166
   http://home.earthlink.net/~onewthnature/