From:
Carrolls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:28:41 -0500
Re: golden opportunity to speak.....
I would recommend doing most of the presentation on the benefits...
STATISTICS...
Try to get in the frame of mind that "of course they want to support these
moms.  Pretend you've come from California or someplace else and know
nothing about this hospital's poicy... Then tell it like it is!!!
Presenting the ideal way of doing things....THE 10 steps... its a goal to
strive for ... Compliment them on what they are doing right. Even if they
aren't. Remember, YOU are an EXPERT on Breastfeeding!!! and they are NOT!!
They asked YOU to speak.

I got some cards from "COACH SMITH" at ILCA....very expensive but
absolutely MAKE any presentation I have done since then.  There are about
50 cards... I have each person read 3 or 4 aloud and comment on whether
they have heard this before.For example did you know BF babies are less
likely to need EYEGLASSES??? lower incidence of sids, MS, diabetes.... Some
of this is on LLL BF fact sheets. If you know any LLL leaders.
I am convinced that people donot support breastfeeding because they don't
get it!! Not that they are trying to be mean...or any thing else.
Once you've done a brilliant job of the benefits...go to how we can support
BF moms...using the 10 steps.  Do a search on the internet... benefits of BF.
Good luck... let us know what you did and how it went.

Patti Carroll, RN IBCLC ,again
private practice
Atlanta, Georgia USA every one knows where we are now...thanks to our
wonderful olympics last year.