From:
Catherine Tapey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 06:59:11 -0700
I was a military wife for 24 yrs and currently do LC work for our local
military hospital. It has been my experience that the Army is less family
friendly than some of the other services "If we wanted you to have a
family we would have issued you one".

That said, the mom may not be able to take more than 2 weeks "family
leave" based on company policy not Army policy. However, I have had
several moms take all of their accrued leave time in conjuction with
their "family leave". For moms giving birth that has sometimes translated
into close to 3 months at home before returning to work. You say mom is
an E-4. She may not have much accrued leave time which may be the
problem. IF she has a supportive pediatrician a prescription stating
medical need for mom to be with baby may or may not help. If the ped is
military and the Company Commander outranks the ped rank may take top
priority. SO---find a supportive ped that outranks the CC!!!!

Feel free to contact me privately if you'd like more logistics help.
Sometimes I can play that "game" very well and sometimes I am
unsuccessful---the military is such a wierd culture, VERY, VERY MALE
DOMINATED!!

Cathy Tapey, IBCLC
Anchorage, AK