From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2015 06:41:01 +0000
Rachel

You relate a very difficult postpartum course for a mother pumping
for 2.5 months for multiples in the NICU.  It actually sounds as if
the amount of pain she has experienced while pumping is so over the
top that I'd be wondering whether she was suffering from postpartum
depression. I recently heard Alison Stuebe speak in Spain and she
described research she's involved in looking at pain in relation to a
mother's emotional state.  Even without medicalizing this mother's
distress, having multiples in the NICU for this length of time must
be incredibly hard and exhausting.   Would it be an idea for her to
ask her own physician about the adviseability of a
breastfeeding-compatible anti-depressant?  This might not only enable
her to cope a little better but may also act as something of a
galactogogue, a frequently experienced side effect?

You say that she has "chosen" to wean, presumably due to the hassles
and the pain associated with pumping for this length of time  ....
but has she any conception of how important her milk is to her
fragile babies?  There would seem to be a clear conflict of interest
in this situation between the needs of the mother and the needs of
the babies.  But truly, the mother is all grown up and the babies are
at risk of infections/NEC etc now, and lifelong disadavantages if she
puts them on formula now. I don't know if you have any
handouts/literature to help mothers make these decisions and bolster
their resolve - but she deserves to know the truth???

Just my 0.2ml.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England.