From:
R M WAHL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 06:37:46 +0000
I do agree that women need choices with birthing options.  It sounds like
the Netherlands have an ideal situation with a home like atmosphere with
close access to emergency help.  I think that an structured education is
very important for providing any kind of care.  One of the reasons that so
many nurses provide poor lactation support, is because they have not been
educated in normal breastfeeding.

I have see the results of birth accidents and incompetence or inexperience
which has resulted in damaged babies.  These things happen with both doctors
and midwives in attendance.  It is painful to watch the perfect looking baby
with no blink or gag reflex and the parents that are experencing emotional
pain and grief.  The parents want everything done for their baby and
unfortunately there is not much to do but to stabilize and try treatments
like head cooling.  I have not heard of babies dying at home (during the
birthing process) in my community, so it seems that most parents choose to
provide medical care when a home birth fails.

Over the course of many years, I have seen less morbidity (infants have less
severe brain damage) because of rapidly performed c-sections in hospital
births.  Home births may have more severe outcomes because of the distance
from the hospital.

As lactation consultants, you probably never see the severely affected
infants.  They are unable to swallow their secretions and require tube
feedings for their nutrition.  They are at high risk for aspiration.

Some of the less severely affected infants may bottle, but they usually
don't have a normal suck and may make more of a chewing motion.  I did just
work with a baby that recovered nicely from the birth asphyxia and was able
to latch and breastfeed.  He may or may not have long term neurological
problems.  The financial and emotional burden on these families are huge and
the more severe the damage the higher the financial (and probably emotional)
cost.

I hope that your New Year has been peaceful.  Sincerely, Rachel Wahl RN
IBCLC