Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 08:13:56 EDT
Deborah has asked for our help with a strategy for funding lactation care and
services in her hospital. I have just finished submitting a reply to this
very question for the next issue of the ILCA Globe. The first step is to sit
down with your billing department and look at the S9443 code for classes and
consults. The billing department is responsible for checking with each
insurer in your state that your hospital bills to see how they want your
services coded. Your hospital can negotiate with each insurer for a small
increase in payment for maternity DRGs for in-patient reimbursement. There
are a host of ways to fund this program other than straight reimbursement
from insurers. I would be happy to ask ILCA if I can send my ideas to you
Deborah before the Globe comes out as you are in a tight deadline. Please
feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA