From:
Veronica Tingzon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:31:50 -0500
Dear Lactnetters,

I have permission to post from a mom that has a concern:
Her baby just turned 3 months old. He is a very chunky, normal
baby. Mom is a very stressed out person and is constantly
calling me for breastfeeding questions. First it was that her
son wouldn't latch, then she was battling low milk supply. Those
were all valid, but because she had a rough start (and has PCOS)
she decided to start taking Domperidone. Breastfeeding became
much more pleasant since she started taking the "Dom". But, in
the past couple of weeks, the baby will have bouts of nursing
strikes. He'll go on breast, tug, and then refuse the breast. Mom
is down to the point in the last day where she's just pumping and
bottle feeding.

I have been working with this mom since the baby was 1 week old.
The baby has always done well and transfered an ideal amount of milk
when I have seen them, but she says that he never displays his
behaviors when I am around. Quite honestly, I think she's more
relaxed when I am around. She now says that her baby constantly
puts both hands in his mouth and furiously gnaws on them. I asked if
there was drool and she says there is a great deal. It sounds like
teething to me.

Can teething be leading to a nursing strike? Can it be that her milk
supply has fallen again? Can it be that the "Dom" is upsetting his
stomach? Any help would be appreciated. I have given her all possible
reasons I could think of and suggestions of how to get around the
nursing strikes to no avail.

Thanks,
Veronica Tingzon, IBCLC, RLC
Oceanside CA