Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:44:23 EST

In a message dated 2/5/2007 12:46:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,

Date:    Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:17:38 -0500
From:     dwiessin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: how long to  attach?

"But Righard's research found that it took an *average* of 50  minutes for
babies to attach"

It has always bothered me that we keep  looking at how long it takes a baby
to attach to a *dead* mother, as if that's  any more normal.

Only an unconscious mother or one who's  participating in a study would be
able to keep her hands to herself while her  newborn did all the work.  I'd love
to see a study of second-time nursing  mothers (as an easier-to-find
substitute for first-time mothers who grew up  watching normal breastfeeding.  My
guess is their babies tend to be  happily at breast within minutes.

But that's neither here nor  there.  It sure seems that the only way to
protect breastfeeding reliably  is to get the births out of the hospitals and bring
them back home.  Oh,  the boost that would give to breastfeeding!!!

Diane Wiessinger,  MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA, who ***almost never*** gets a
call for  help from the area's homebirth midwives - and then it's virtually
always an  anatomical or hormonal issue

Am I dreaming or did someone once do a study of the average time a  mom's
milk is in after a home birth compared to a hosp birth? During the 5 years  I
practiced as a home-birth midwife, it was rare to see a mom without a  full
"milk's in" by the closing of day 3. And I agree- around here the  home-birht
midwives also only call for very complicated issues.
And since it appears that it will be a LOOOOOG time before we see a
home-birth culture here, how about we start a movement to close all the  well-baby
nurseries?? That way, unless the infant is really sick and needs to be
monitored, there would be mandatory "pay attention to your baby" - hmmm- what a  novel
thought!

Lucia Jenkins, RN, IBCLC (who is having a cynical day, wondering  why the
cause of so many problems is all so blatantly obvious to  us, and not to others!)