From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:32:11 -0700
Thank you so much for your great post on long term
nursing and statistical outlyers.  That was excellent.
 I have two outlyers in verbal skills- first daughter
spoke well at 14 mos old; second daughter speaks less
than her sister did at 14 mos, and is now 28 mos old.
Just part of life.  I'd hate for someone to try to
counsel me on that, uninvited, just as it would bother
me to be counseled on nursing an older child,
uninvited.  Now, if I was hurting my child, I would
expect a health care provider to address that with me,
just as I would hope that caring strangers would speak
to my daughters to sympathise with their pain.  (Jan
Hunt of the Natural Child Project, and Alice Miller,
the German author of "For Your Own Good" and other
notable books on abuse and violence believe that abuse
becomes most destructive when not acknowledged as
abuse.  When it is viewed by witnesses as "normal" the
child is more likely to not be able to cope with the
pain.  I've been learning to defuse public violence by
sympathising with the abused child and not calling
attention to the violence, per se.  I can discuss what
I mean more if anyone wishes.)

For slides- there may be some well funded person in
academic circles who has a camera/light set up for
photographing from books.  It's a table with clamps, a
stand for the camera to face straight down toward the
clamped book, and at least four very bright lights
illuminating the book.  Ask around- I'm sure Kathy
Dettwyler, Cathy Barger and many others of us realise
how some of these well funded people in different
areas have toys that they don't utilise fully.  I know
the person who had the one I saw doesn't- he's a the
University of Illinois, if someone there needs a name.
 :-P