From:
Laura Wasielewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2015 21:18:10 -0700
I already contacted Ellen off list, but just for the sake of the lactnet archives I wanted to add that it *is* possible to breastfeed and do the ketogenic diet. Different physicians/teams will handle it differently. The neurologist my good friend works with at UCLA was VERY supportive of breastfeeding on the keto diet. (My friend's son has/had infantile spasms and epilepsy with tonic seizures.) It is possible, there has been some research on it. Some moms will choose to pump & bottle feed so they know the exact amounts of breastmilk they are giving. Some physicians will want to analyze mom's milk to get a better idea of nutritional content.

My friend did not end up doing the keto diet, but they were very close and she went through all the available information on it. Her son is now three, still nursing, has been seizure free for over a year, off all meds for over six months and is walking and talking! She credits breastmilk and their nursing relationship for keeping them all sane and improving his neurological recovery.

It's a horrible, horrible thing to go through and these moms especially need our support in promoting and protecting breastfeeding.

-Laura Wasielewski MS, CCC-SLP, IBCLC