Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 19:41:14 +0000
The baby sounds as if he would be better without iron.  If he was
relatively mature at birth, say, 35 weeks gestation, he could get away
without iron.  I would worry, though, if he were 26 weeks gestation at
birth.

Whenever we use medication, we should weigh the benefit against the
risk.  If this baby is having this kind of reaction from iron, is it
really necessary for him to get it?  Even if he were quite premature?
Is the possible prevention of anemia worth the reaction you describe?
Can we not wait a few weeks until he is four months, and then add iron
containing foods?

It is also possible that he is getting too much iron.  He probably
needs, unless already anemic, 2 mg/kg/day of elemental iron.  Less may
not cause him these problems.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC