From:
Janet Vandenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:21:46 -0400
I had a personal experience with having a mammogram and u/s during
breastfeeding.  I was nursing a > 1 yr old.  The technician was very
anxious about the procedure.  She gave me a towel and stood off to the
side.  She was waited for me to spray milk everywhere. I had fed just prior
to the appointment and was soft at the time.  The u/s technician was
nervous too. I think about how lactation would complicate the test. They
kept whispering and looking nervous.  This was not conducive to my own
personal anxiety level about having a lump investigated.

Afterwards the Xray tech told me that they usually recommend temporary
weaning for 24 hours "just in case".  I practically laughed in her face.
She was quite taken aback when I questioned this advice and asked what the
possible mechanism of harm could be.  She said that's what "they" say.  I
asked her who "they" were.  She gave up at this point and admitted she had
no idea.  I doubt it will have left a permanent impression but perhaps I
left a seed of doubt for this silly advice.

Apparently my results were not affected by breastfeeding - there was no
interfere with reading the xray due to milk storage or increased density.

Nursing a younger baby may require more expertise in reading the xray due
to the higher production of milk but for a mum with an older infant who can
soften her breast right before the test it shouldn't make any difference.

Janet Vandenberg RN, BScN, IBCLC
Ontario, Canada
(who is glad to be back on Lactnet after such a long stretch away)