From:
Kerry Ose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 08:40:57 -0500
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 20:52:40 -0500, Pat Young <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Personally I think it is volume.  Parents tell me incredible amounts of milk
>consumed.  A bottle is easy, child can manage it without much preparation on
>parents' part (as opposed to a meal and a mess).  Doesn't require much
>thought and is cheap :-(  Sad.  Pat in SNJ

This illustrates why it is so sad that we do not have normal breastfeeding in most western
societies.  These one and two year olds are meant to be getting cheap, easy meals that
consist of milk and don't require much thought.  It's just that when they get these meals via
breastfeeding, volume regulation is almost never an issue. While some breastfed children in
this age range are sustained primarily by breastfeeding and others get only a small
percentage of their calories and nutrition from breastfeeding, all tend to thrive and not
show signs of iron-depletion

My concern, of course, is that these warnings about iron-depletion will be extrapolated and
we will see "experts" cautioning that breastfeeding beyond age 1 carries this extra risk.

Kerry Ose, PhD