From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:03:53 -0700
I apologize if I offended anyone with my comments about my son's friend, who
died from complications of diabetes.  I didn't mean to imply that
breastfeeding would have assured that the boy would not have been diabetic,
just that it would have been less likely.  I also wonder if, perhaps, if he
had still gotten it, it would not have been as severe.  I would hope that
any mother who has breastfed, and her baby still gets it (or any other
problem that breastfeeding lessens the incidence of), would at least take
some comfort in knowing that she did what she could to prevent it.

My adopted daughter, Joanna, has a strong medical history of type 1
diabetes, which I worry about.  I wish I could have produced enough breast
milk for her that she would not have needed any formula, to lessen the
likelihood of her developing it, but I did the best I could under the
circumstances, and that is all anyone can be expected to do!

Aloha,
Darillyn