From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 04:29:15 -0600
Did anyone catch the US news reports about all the pregnant chimpanzees at
the Los Angeles Zoo?  Supposedly all the males are either too young, too
old, or have had vasectomies -- so there shouldn't be any sperm around.  But
they had one birth last year, another birth this year, and two more of the
females are pregnant.  Significantly, they say they can't do DNA testing of
the offspring to determine paternity until 6-12 months after birth, as it
would be too traumatic to the infants to be taken away from their mother's
arms, even for a few minutes, AND the remaining females have been put on
birth control pills, but not the ones who are already pregnant (obviously)
nor the ones who are lactating, as the pills would interfere with milk
production.  Why do we know these things about chimpanzees, but not know
them about humans??

Kathy Dettwyler

P.S.  I apologize if I offended anyone with my "quityerbeefin" post, but I
do think women in the US complain way too much about how difficult their
lives are, with absolutely no clue about what life is like for women in most
of the world.  As I often tell my children, you need only 4 things in life
to be happy: food to eat, a roof over your head, people to love you, and no
one shooting at you.