From:
"Deborah L. Tobin, RN, BSN. IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:48:14 -0500
From:    Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sore nipples and the Daily News
..whether we like it or not, this is the experience of many mothers.  These
mothers turn to the breastfeeding books and they find their experienced
dismissed. ...let's not forget that the experiences described are real and
should not be dismissed in our enthusiastic rush to promote breastfeeding in
warm, glowing terms>>

I agree. In breastfeeding class when describing latch/suck, I suggest that
acceptable sensations may include taut pull, snug tug, ........or possibly
uncomfortable tenderness as tissues become more elastic, lasting a few days
(unrelated to latch in this case and others, like some variations of oral or
breast anatomy that cause soreness in spite of the best possible latch
achieveable in those situations). Also, mom and baby are learning and
improving skills together. On the other hand, the sensation of someone
*slamming your nipples in a drawer* is unacceptable ( amazingly, this
consistently gets a big laugh) and is a clear indication to promptly seek
help. So far I have not had anyone decide against BF based on that suggestion
of possible unacceptable pain. Chances are, if they are in breastfeeding
class they are already aware of this possibility. And, this makes it clear
that a complaint of pain will not be condescendingly dismissed. Nor do I
promise an instantaneous magic cure in 100% of cases . Rather, more likely a
process of improvement.

Deb
sorry have not figured out the way to set up automatic mailto line