From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:51:45 -0600
Nicolas Stettler of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia has released a study April 7, 2002 finding that obesity patterns for life may be established as early as at four months of age.  A direct link was found between seven year olds of extreme obesity and babies who had rapid weight gain during their first four months of life.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/micro_stories.pl?ACCT=159681&TICK=CHOP&STORY=/www/story/02-04-2002/0001661560&EDATE=Feb+4,+2002

I thought this study was interesting, in that parents and society is often so fixated on seeing large weight gains in infants, which can often lead to concerns of "whether baby is getting enough milk and gaining enough" when breastfeeding.
The study didn't seem to investigate what the babies were fed, however, it looked at data from 19,000 children who were born at term gestation between 1959 and 1965 in 12 U.S. cities. (The height of formula feeding, I think?)
Janice Reynolds