From:
Mary Herrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:57:04 -0700
VERY interesting thread!
I am just catching up on emails (2 week vacation) and
am heartened to see this thread as I believe birth
experience and breastfeeding success are critically
linked and are so often ignored by the "experts."
In my breastfeeding class I make this point and have
been encouraged by the primips who have approached me
after class to discuss their natural childbirth
options.

I work in a facility with 35% c-section rate and see
more and more elective primary c-sections, 37-38 week
inductions for dubious reasons, 98% epidural rates and
pretty much go home depressed at the end of each of my
12 hour shifts after working with disorganized babies
and frustrated moms who constantly spew such
negativity toward breastfeeding!(and these are the
moms who profess to "want" to breastfeed)

BUT- there are those small, teeny tiny steps in the
right direction that some moms are making on behalf of
their babies-I see lots of moms willing to spend time
skin-to skin once you explain it helps to organize
babies to their instincts and its heartening to
witness this occuring even on a very small scale.

 baby steps, baby steps, baby steps!!!

my mantra during my 12 hours in the trenches!!
Mary Herrington RN, Breastfeeding Educator
St Lukes CMC, The Woodlands TX