From:
Libby Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:48:06 -0600
I think it is important to differentiate between smooshing and " wooshing"
baby on as Cloe Fisher descirbes.  I always ask mom if it is ok to touch her
and the baby and when the mouth is open in the baby bird position after
touching the lip, wooshing the baby on does help for a better latch.  Some
moms are so tenative that the baby only gets the end of the nipple.  Always
having my hand under their hand I help them to guide baby on for an
effective latch.  I think some women, depending on their history may find
even that much guidance, or any hands on the breast overwhelming and we need
to be sensitive to that, but by far most women, as Nikki stated from the
research do expect guidance and assistance, in this country it may be the
first modeling of breastfeeding.  Using a doll and yourself can be helpful,
and I try to keep my hands behind my back, but hands on is not wrong, also
remember people often expect to breastfeed as they practiced bottlefeeding
with their dolls growing up and we all know that positioning is poor.  As a
hospital based lactation consultant, moms do want and need support and
hands-on.  As long as they are asked about touch, they are grateful for a
successful, pain free experience, with baby actually nursing.  I think the
problem often comes from nurses watching our work and going too far with it
the next time and not being sensitive to the baby the mom and that's when
mom feels overwhelmed.  Thanks for the thought provoking dialog-- I want to
share this thread with the staff, to reinforce gentle "wooshing" versus
"smooshing", and  what I see as the fine line between.
Libby Rosen, IBCLC, BSN, CCE
Topeka, Kansas USA