Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:09:17 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (63 lines)
Hello all. i am jumping in mid stream, just lurking and busy with the kids. and i see induction and stuff - chris answer is shorter, and more to the point. However, ia also realize that relactation is a bit different than induction - but -

these instructions are on my web site and it has a pumpng outline and the herbs to use.   I have been in the process updating.( more current dosages and the combinations of herbs). I now have the homeopathy section in. 

these are cut and paste 
I agree with chris- mulitifaceted approach with dedication and getting to it sooner rather than later helps. 

web site: www.birthandbreastfeeding.com

This is an alternative to the medicinal depo- estrogen etc. 

These herbs are in medicinal doses check for IDDM if using fenugreekan/or goat's rue.

Pumping instructions: Do a nice gentle and firm breast massage before each pumping. Mom may want to use a light moisturizing cream on the breast. On initial pumpings, mom may want to use olive oil or lanolin on the nipples to prevent friction rubs. Pregnancy builds keratin that the adoptive mother may not have built up on her nipples and areolas. 

Pumping may be accelerated if baby comes in a hurry. These are for a woman who knows about when she is to get the baby.

1st week (6-8 weeks prior to baby) Using a hospital grade pump with a double pumping kit. 

Mom is to pump 6 times daily for 10 minutes.

2nd week (4-6 weeks prior to baby) 

Mom pumps 6 times a day for 20 minutes per pumping.

3rd week (4 weeks prior to baby) mom is to pump 6-8 times daily for 20 minutes. 

4th week (3 wks. prior to baby) Mom is to set a routine 8 -10 times daily at least one pumping at night. This is followed until the baby arrives. 

Herbs for induction:

Alfalfa Tablets. Contains estrogenic precursors and has lots of vitamins and minerals in absorbable form. 

Start with 1 capsule 4 times a day and work up to 8 capsules a day. If stools get too loose stop and only use 1 dose less. You should end up taking 2 tablets 4 times daily.

Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum- graceum) Capsules 3 caps 3 x daily or 3 ml tincture 3x daily. Use fenugreek singly not in combinations with thyme. Nature's sunshie has a marshmallow fenugreek blend- works great. 3 caps 3x daily

Goat's Rue (galega officinales) 3ml tincture 3x daily. 

Caution with Goat's rue and Fenugreek- rare allergic reactions- more common these are both known to lower the need for insulin in IDS use with supervision. 

Marshmallow Root, 1 caps. Or .5 (1/2) ml 3x daily. 

Borage seed oil. 2, 1000 mg caps daily. Or 1 pint Of borage leaf tea daily. This is high in Gamma Lenolenic Acid and Gamma lenoleic Acid. Makes for richer mother's milk. 

Or use 2 1000mg caps of Evening Primrose oil. Does essentially the same thing. 

Blessed thistle 3 -400 mg caps 3x daily, 

The tinctures may be taken with water or Red raspberry tea. Caps can be as well. 

Mechell Turner, M.Ed. IBCLC, CCE [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2