From:
Anna Petrov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:53:17 -0700
 Regarding Sara's comment on the despicable hospital....Gee, I thought that WAS over in the stone age.  That is, the unnatural age about 35-25 years ago when I (mom of four, healthy and normal and grown now thank God) was a breastfeeding "pioneer" in Indianapolis, Indiana.  Formula samples, coupons, and instructions on how to "feed" were handed out.  My (male, male, male, female) doctors all took the time (about ten minutes) to make sure that I knew that babies were not to be fed too often, that a schedule should be implemented right away, and that I should under all circumstances stick to it, lest I "spoil" the child in some horrid, unnamed way!  Well, this (plus a very insensitive first husband) undermined my feeding of my daughter so badly that I had very little milk and weaned her (out of ignorance and frustration) at six weeks.
Along came baby #2, and LaLeche League, plus I was 3 years older.  I left the hospital in 24 hours with this little guy, went straight home, talked to nobody but my LLL folks and my mom-in-law ( European, very helpfpul) and fed HIM for 10 months, until he gave it up.    All in spite of well-meaning friends and relatives who did their best to disabuse me of my antiquated notions about childearing.  (I didn't have any trouble with potty training either...but that's another story.)
The same guff was offered at the hospital(s) for 2, 3!!!  Number  was born in a university community and my doc was an former missionary who knew how things ought to be done.
All the boys were fed correctly, #3 weaned at 11 months (started walking independently and wanted to take his sippy cup with him) and #4 nursed, at least nominally, for two years.  This superkid is now a dad and a real "lactofreak" himself.  I'm the proud grandma of two wonderful breastfeds, a boy and a girl.  My daughter-in-law refused formula samples, even though they were offered, and had the ovaries (sorry, Sara, I never say "balls" referring to a woman) to inform the docs that she didn't need their advice, she was going to nurse!!
The good news is they didn't push her, and did refer her to a lactation counselor with #1 (C-section, some complications, pre-eclampsia, etc).  She did fine.   Are we winning?
Congratulations on your baby girl.  Fight the good fight, Sara.  Now that I'm a grandma and can do as I please, I've become a dietitian, and plan to add lactation counselor to my career goals.
Anna H. Petrov, RD, Portland, Oregon  [log in to unmask]