From:
"Linda J. Inglis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:03:58 EST
I've been involved in the formation of several groups of like minded people.
They have chosen to be called both names, task forces and coalitions.  I
personally like the name coalition better.  It sounds more like everyone might
share in the work and also share in the rewards.  Having been a military wife
for nearly a hundred years, Task Force brings to mind the Green Berets,
storming the beach and knocking down the Iron Curtain.  I think we
breastfeeding advocates need to wander away from the military and lean toward
the "lets work together" sounding names.  As far as actual "job descriptions"
I don't think there is any difference.

As part of our Technical Assistance to Pilot States in the WIC National
Breastfeeding Promotion Project, Best Start assisted in the formative meetings
of 4 breastfeeding coalitions.  Two of them in California and 2 in West
Virginia.  What a delightful thing to witness!  All four of these groups had
goals, projects (long and short term), and follow-up meetings planned by the
end of the day.  You may want to see if you can get a copy of the Coalition
Building Tool that Iowa's Breastfeeding Coalition did several years ago.  I
know that all the WIC State Breastfeeding Coordinators got copies of it.  It
is an excellent guide that includes agendas, organizational guidance and help
on who to "enlist".

Linda J. Inglis, BS, IBCLC
Breastfeeding Coordinator
Best Start Social Marketing