From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 08:08:21 -0500
Hi there. This needs the direction and guidance of your PP administration.
Breastfeeding information and support is not up to the caprice of the
individual nurse, and whether or not she believes in or wishes to support
breastfeeding. Your hospital needs a documented policy on breastfeeding
that all employees are bound to sign off on and work with. No exceptions.
If she was a smoker, and went around telling mothers that occasional
smoking in the baby's presence was not a health hazard, would we put up
with that? I doubt it.

This person is using her age and "experience," combined with her lack of
education, to persuade mothers and influence them in ways that are not a
benefit to her in the long term health picture.  She needs to be educated,
and signed off on a policy, and informed that her subtle and not so subtle
comments are not in line with current AAP guidelines and hospital policy,
and if she doesn't like it....she might find a different floor more to her
liking.

Kathleen