Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 07:27:09 -0700
Just acknowledging that it WAS a loss and it's okay to be sad is incredibly
helpful.  It feels like a huge wound to them, and it's usually invisible to
everyone else.

I've thought for a long time now that the huge lack of support from nurses
in our local hospital has to do with their own unacknowledged feelings of
loss around breastfeeding - they may not consciously be trying to undermine
breastfeeding for others, but given the end result, whether they are aware
or not doesn't make much difference to young moms.

In my opinion, debriefing one's own experience around something as emotional
as breastfeeding should be a required part of the training process for
everyone that works with mothers and infants.

I'll add it to my list of 'perfect world' items.

Ingrid