Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:11:07 +0000
>Wonder what the difference in peer support and LLL peer support
>means?  My LLL experience over 38+ years says differently!  Also no
>mention of pre-BF education and support.  I know it makes a
>difference when moms come before the birth of the baby to LLL
>meetings.  Gee I wish I had time to do research :-(  Pat in SNJ

It would be really useful if basic peer support worked  without
antenatal input - we will never get to a situation where all mothers
come when still pg to a meeting held by a volunteer organisation.
Only about half of all first-time mothers in the UK come to any
antenatal classes - even if we could somehow get the same number to
come to bf meetings, there is no way the necessary number of
supporters could be trained to handle all these extra customers!

I think peer support has an element of creating acceptance of bf
within a community - changing the climate, if you like, making bf
normal where it has been abnormal for about 40-50  years.

If the only way peer support works is to see mothers before the
birth, and then a zillion times afterwards,  we are sunk.

In fact, this study shows a zillion visits make no difference - maybe
yet another visit in pg would work, but maybe we'd have to have fewer
afterwards.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK

(and a big Yay! for Lactnet's award, BTW!)