From:
Helen Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:54:17 -0000
Alicia
I don't  #think# it's been revised but much of the book is 'timeless'  - it
is about tongue tie and  it's effect on the whole person,  not just
breastfeeding.  We had a lot of help getting TT onto the agenda from a
Speech and language therapist who told us about the difficulties bottle fed
babies could have and difficulties  toddlers can have with  eating if the
tie is severeand untreated,   messy eating,  taking a long time,  battles
starting,  behavioural problems from punishment because of all of this, self
esteem problems because no one wants  to sit near a messy eater.........and
so on.  It is worth  persevering,  the   surgeon in our area was very
opposed to the procedure but  once his eyes were opened to the effects it
can cause he  had a change of heart and now will cut for TT [for be/f babies
only] if it is identified while still in the hospital
Rachel mentions the  risk of cutting the submandibular salivary duct outlet.
I had surgery here myself as an adult [so lernt where   the outlet was,
which I  never knew before] and  I would think it highly unlikely and that
if the surgeon wore his glasses there should be no risks.  Is it just he
worries about wriggly babies?
Helen