From:
Pia Ruohotie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 20:40:30 +0200
Hello!

I would like to share yesterday with you, I know you will understand!

I am working as a RN at Nursery ward (level 2 B I think). Yesterday I was
present when a pediatrician was doing discharge examination for a full term
hypotonic baby (some central nervous system problem is suspected but not
diagnosed yet). Initially she had apnea episodes while eating (mostly with
bottle - no wonder). I had been working with them with breastfeeding
management and as baby's RN and she has been doing quite well at the breast
but is not able (yet) to suckle all of her milk (we don´t have rooming-in at
our ward). I have made a plan (with the mother of course)  for them to
increase breastfeeding according baby´s progress and we are aiming to
exclusive breastfeeding since the mother is pumping all the milk the baby
needs for now. The parents asked many questions and one of them was
something about breastfeeding. The Doctor pointed at me sitting next to her
and said that parents do better to ask about breastfeeding for me since I am
the expert. I am smiling still as I am writing this! I talked with the
parents about breastfeeding after the check-up and I see them again after a
couple of weeks unless they call me earlier.

We are going to start the first project 2009 to improve the quality of
staff´s breastfeeding counselling and management skills and I am reponsible
person to make a plan for our project and probably educating also. Another
interesting thing is that our organization Helsinki University Hospital is
going to have the first 20 hour breastfeeding course for pediatric RNs and I
am teaching at it with an IBCLC.

It's snowing here - the first snow this winter!

Best wishes,
Pia Ruohotie, RN and breastfeeding counsellor
From Helsinki, Finland, Europe. (Collecting my own hours for the Exam...)