Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 23:20:48 EDT
Dear Susan and other Lactnuts,

I don't know if a currently nonlactating breast will suffer damage from a
mammogram, but a recent personal experience indicates that it might affect
lactating ducts (well, mine, anyway).  I have always had fibrocystic-type
tissue, and after over more than 10 years of continuous lactation (not the
same child), I've managed to build up some lumpy areas in the central part of
my breast tissue, due to unresolved plugged ducts.  (A question I've been
wanting to ask...do old plugged ducts ever just "fade away"?)  This had
happened mostly in my right breast, for some reason.

In the past year, I'd been concerned when a new lump continued being sore for
months, and went to an internist, who suggested a mammogram, but I asked for
an ultrasound instead.  The results were "indeterminate," but didn't seem to
indicate a tumor-type situation.  The internist then recommended a mammogram,
and I went (tho I had read that mammograms may not be readable due to density
of the lactating breast) (stupid me!).  The result of that was great
"discomfort" (what a word) and milk leaking everywhere, only to be told I
needed to get an ultrasound!...  I ended up having matching lumps in my right
breast and more clogging of my right.  (Guess I've never been good at working
these things out.  I do know the protocols!)

I've been avoiding this issue (and my internist) for several months now.
Guess I'm like the proverbial plumber who doesn't fix her own faucets!!!  The
next option for me, for further exploration, is probably aspiration (which
does not seem to be a pleasant prospect, either).  The internist suggested,
alternatively, to wean my three-year-old (since he's "so old" already) and see
if the tissue involutes spontaneously (and how long will THAT take?).  Can
this sort of situation merely be benign?  My three-year-old doesn't seem to
have any problems extracting milk.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance,
Lisa Mo