From:
David Sulman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:32:49 -0500
Jennifer wrote:

> Date:    Sun, 14 Oct 2012 08:34:34 +0100
> From:    Mario Viola <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Adoptive nursing:  Changing diet from cow's milk to breast milk
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I have permission to post from a friend who lives in Uganda and is adopting a 4-5 month old, bringing her home in the next few days.  She has induced lactation and pumps over 30 oz per day!  She has learned that the infant is fed cow's milk with sugar added by bottle with large hole in the nipple about every 1.5 hours or so.  On one occasion recently, the infant refused formula by bottle.
>
> Question is, how should this mother go about changing infant's diet from cow's milk to breast milk?  Would like to hear from LCs with some expertise in adoptive nursing.  Is it better to try a gradual approach or is the cow's milk/sugar harmful enough to warrant a cold turkey change in diet.  Keep in mind the infant will be traumatized by the sudden change in caregivers, language and environment as well.
>
> Thanks for your input,
> Jennifer Cooper, RN, BSN, IBCLC
> Aviano AB, Italy

> Date:    Sun, 21 Oct 2012 08:40:50 +0100
> From:    Mario Viola <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Adoptive Nursing: cow's milk to human milk
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Thank you to those who responded to my previous message regarding changing the diet of an adopted 4 month old  girl from cow's-milk-with-sugar-added to human milk.
>
> With PTP:  the mother introduced her own milk via bottle to the baby over a couple of days while babe was still in the care of the orphanage.  After two attempts, baby took a bottle of momma's milk.  A few days later baby came home to her forever family and is now on a 100% breast milk diet.  The switch was cold turkey.  Now mom is working on introducing this baby to the breast and hopes she will nurse at the breast in the near future.
>
> I have advised her uncover her breasts when possible at home, ease into skin-to-skin contact on her own chest, bathe together, and let the baby see other babies nursing.  If there are any other suggestions, they'd be welcome.
>
> Jennifer Cooper, RN, BSN, IBCLC

Jennifer,

It sounds like your suggestions were helpful and this baby is making a great transition!  I wasn't clear if this baby is now living with her adoptive family in Uganda?  Do they have internet access and can they read resources in English?  (You had mentioned the baby would be adapting to a new language).  If so, I would urge you and the adoptive parents to read the wonderful article by Karleen Gribble, “ Mental Health, Attachment and Breastfeeding: Implications for Adopted Children and Their Mothers.” International Breastfeeding Journal, 9 March 2006.

It can be found at

http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/content/pdf/1746-4358-1-5.pdf

Also, look at the Adoptive Breastfeeding Resource Website    http://www.fourfriends.com/abrw/

and