From:
francisfam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:47:07 -0800
I just replied to Diane that we really need to clone our whole team in order to duplicate our good breastfeeding rates in NICU.  Our mothers are great, the neo's and NNP's are very supportive, the nurses do a good job, and we even get help from a couple of male respiratory therapists when I am not around to help the spanish-speaking moms.  They help them get started pumping, explain the breastfeeding progression protocol, show them how to store their milk etc.  Now that's above and beyond!

Our transport team takes out a packet of information to the staff and mother in the referring hospital.  If the mother says she is planning to bottle feed, the transport nurses explain the benefits of breastmilk for hospitalized babies  and ask the mom if she  would be interested in providing milk at least while the baby is in the hospital.

We still aren't baby friendly (formula/pacifier issues) but I am happy about the progress we are making gradually.

I feel so sorry for all of you who are fighting your staff.  I have been invited to the staff meeting for the mother/baby unit to help them understand our NICU policies so they can be more helpful and supportive.  I think I live in lactation heaven.
Deanne