Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:09:44 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (48 lines)
> 
> I have permission to post. Lovely mom with many yrs of infertility had a wonderful boy, some initial trials but was nursing well, baby at the 90%. >>

Do you know what the underlying cause of the infertility was/is? Could possibly play a role...

<< then between the 4mo and 6mo visit wt loss 12 oz!  Was 19# 6oz down to 18# 10oz. Baby was dx with a uti, treated and now at 8 months is just 19# 2.2, so has only gained 8 oz in 8 weeks. >>

How long was baby sick with the UTI? How did the illness affect his appetite, BF routine/pattern? How was the UTI treated medically -- was he on an antibiotic that may have upset his GI track, caused diarrhea, affected normal flora, harmed the intestinal tract endings that produce lactase temporarily? I find a "stall" or loss re: weight gain often seems to be associated with a bacterial or viral illness that took a week or more to get over.

Baby looks great, chubby to me though mom notices ribs now. C/O " butting" behavior at night- I watched some very gymnastic nursing and when baby was tugging we started some gentle compressions.. baby looked shocked -too cute. but, transferred 5.6 oz.

Wow, sounds like good transfer! Would expect an 8 month old to be into all those "interruptive" gymnastic BF behaviors!

>    ( this is where I like the scale to give evidence in favor of bf) anyway should we be patient and allow time to regain all that wt loss if baby is happy? the pedi is getting worried.  Confounding factors: baby has refulx, no vomiting lately, 
Baby began solids at 6mo and takes just 1-2 times/day..  Fusses at times with solids also, arching crying??  a sip of water helps him..Nurses alot.  but the tugging and arching, trying to stand while nursing is driving her batty.worse at night..Heavy wets and 6 bm's avg/day. wnl for color etc....  Baby is going for pedi GI eval at stanford.  Any other bf strategies for mom??  >>

Do solids "trigger" refluxing? The "arching, crying" makes me think so as does the trying to stand while nursing, esp at night. (Of course, some of that could be 8 month old BF gymnastics -- other behaviors at the time could be telling.)

Is baby otherwise healthy? Is baby appropriate re: development? In addition to this baby's recent UTI, I've seen weight gain realllllllly slow with the intro of solids, yet babies still continued to gain, albeit slowly, and were alert and developmentally on target or ahead. Would think the all-over picture should count...

>> -mom has had some extreem and very rapid wt loss. She's 60 lbs below pre preg wt.. was on anti -depressants before conception and quite heavy, wondering if the s/e from the meds is just melting her now since off or something else?. On no meds currently.
>    Mom is also a vegetarian, is taking more avacado and weighty foods for she and baby.

What kind of vegetarian is mom? No issue with vitamin or micronutrient deficiencies? Does mom have PCOS and related insulin resistance? Has mom had her thyroid levels checked? For instance, postpartum thyroiditis occurs in approx 8-12% of new moms per one fairly recent study; can show up later in postpartum year.

Not sure if any of the above may be helpful -- just thoughts that occurred while reading your post.

Karen G

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2