From:
Kathleen Salisbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:33:08 -0800
Winnie wrote:

> [...]
with.  Some staff would get all excited when the salesman would come looking
forward to their "gifts".  They would think nothing of sporting badge clips
or pens with the formula name blazoned on it for all (especially patients)
to see. <<<<<

This exact scenario happened in my presence when my former preemie son was
in the NICU.  I was rocking my baby when several NICU nurses came in all
excited and chatting about the neat free stuff the formula rep was giving
out at the reception desk.  Another nurse left to go up there and check out
what she could get.  They were thrilled with their cute lapel pins
and coffee mugs.  I was secretly groaning and rolling my eyes.  Then one of
the lactation consultants came in and I asked her about the formula rep and
freebies and she was fuming.  I asked her what the formula reps say to her
when they show up and she said, "oh they won't even talk to me, they know
better!"

Good news though, this hospital has become, is just about to become Baby
Friendly!

Kathleen Salisbury, LLLL, IBCLC
Washington State, USA