From:
Jacquie Nutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2014 08:40:08 +1100
Hi Karen

You ask about the practicalities of  tidy milk storage. I am not at home so
can't cite evidence for your questions (I have the HMBANA publications, but
the NICE guidelines from UK are probably easily found online.)

<<1.       Can MOM, donor milk, and formula be stored in the same
refrigerator and in the same storage bin?>>

In a small unit with only one fridge, it usually happens that a variety of
items are kept together - but a mixed storage bin sounds risky.  There is
that opportunity for muddling the milks, but at the very least, time is
wasted when moving the jars for the one you want [and it's a
finger-freezing job].  Best practice would obviously be to have separate
freezers, but storing on separate shelves (clearly labelled) would be
acceptable.  If space is extremely limited, a large, clear plastic bag per
batch is also practical for previously frozen milks.

Contamination of the outside of the jars through handling is possible
depending on the handler(s), which is another reason for keeping different
items in their own storage containers, .and not touching them unnecessarily.

If the issue is that mothers are freezing their milk in plastic bags, then
it would be even more important to store these in separate storage bins to
keep the little bags safe and whole.

<<2.       Is there evidence to support the use of a closed container to
store frozen MOM (storage with a lid) in a freezer or refrigerator?>>

Do you mean sealed containers of MOM inside another closed container? This
sounds as if someone is concerned about cross contamination, but I haven't
seen any mention of lidded storage containers, nor experienced it.

While we value tidiness and cleanliness in food storage, I don't like to
see the storage of fresh human milk made to look overly difficult or
"icky".  It is precious, yes, but take care not to make it look to the
other staff members like a source of dangerous contamination.

Best wishes
Jacquie Nutt IBCLC