Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:07:04 EST

Melinda says:

<<I still remain curious  about something:  I asked in an earlier post about
evidence that the  "bolus of colostrum" that seems to be present in mothers'
breasts after birth  "goes away" or is "reabsorbed" after a while.  Several
people have  commented on the bolus "going back up the ductal tree" or
something like  that, and I would really like to see the evidence or studies
that show  this.  Like I said in that earlier post, after many years  of
hospital-based work, I do NOT usually see that bolus disappearing, and  often
will see it when mothers pump 12-24 hours after birth (for whatever  reason).
They will get that first bolus and then may only be able to get  drops with
the pump for a period of time after  that.>>

I believe that was in some of  Peter Hartmann's work -- whether stated at a
conference at ILCA some time back  or in his written work, I  can't be certain.
 But that is where it  came from.

Interesting you are still seeing  a bolus after pumping 12 to 24 hours for
the first time.  I am not.   And I have been doing this work for 25 years also.
I can remember a very  few moms that may have been able to pump as much as 5
or 7 cc when they pump the  first time at 6 to 12 hours  (but generally they
don't pump  anything), and they have been few and far between.   Enough that
when a mom gets that much, we comment on it and how unusual it  is.  Today's mom
finally pumped 5 cc, and she has now pumped 12 times since  the baby was born
on Friday night.  Didn't start pumping until Saturday,  about noon.

How much of a bolus are you  seeing when a mom pumps for the first time at 12
- 24 hours?  And when you  say "often will see that bolus..." what do you
mean by often?  Every  time?  50% of the time?  75%?  25%?

I would guess that I see a "bolus" of 5 or 7 cc about 10% of  the time when
mom starts pumping later than 1 to 2 hours after  birth.

How about the rest of you?   What are your experiences?  When I lecture
around the country, I find that  when I bring this up, I've had just about the same
response of "nothing," that  I've seen.  Of course, I've not lectured in
Toledo in years, so maybe  that's it.  :>D  (Joke, joke -- that's a JOKE!)

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC