From:
Kellie Webster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:37:33 -0400
Hi Betty and fellow lactnetter's, my name is Kellie Webster. I am currently
doing postpartum home visits for an American Military Community in Germany.
My qualifications do not compare to those who have responded thus far but
here they are nonetheless! I just graduated from UND myself, December 1999.
I worked in the NICU as a co-op student for 8 months as well as in the
Research Department. I've breast fed my two girls (now 9 & 11) for 14 +
months each. I read lactnet, attend Le Leche League meetings when ever
possible and I've subscribed to nursing journals with this area of
interest. I am waiting for the materials to begin studying to become IBCLC.
The research and studying never stops! I've also had the good fortune to be
taught by some wonderful breastfeeding supporters there at UND and Altru
(Cindy, Patti, Jenni and Heidi) as well as here in Germany (Donna, LoriAnn,
Jane and Karen).
My postion is contracted with the Army Community Services rather than a
medical facility. The goal is to prevent child abuse by educating new
parents of normal infant development and help them learn and use
appropriate bonding skills. I visit them in the hospital about 1 day post
partum, just to introduce myself and offer them a home visit. About 99%
gladly accept. I then try to visit them 2-3 days postpartum. At this visit,
I try to observe a feeding, ask many questions and reinforce what they
hopefully have learned before discharge. We admire the baby (fun) and talk
about thier labor and delivery (theraputic). I encourage them to attend our
parenting classes and a breastfeeding support group. I leave them my phone
number to call any time, day or night (and they do). If needed, I refer
them to a more expericenced LC. I also call them about 3 weeks postpartum
if I haven't heard from them already.
I find these new parents very receptive to my visits. By this time most
have already learned the "how to" of breastfeeding but the reinforcement of
this information given on day 2 - 3 postpartum is very beneficial. Please
feel free to contact me personally if you have any more questions.