From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 11:31:34 -0500
Dear Lactnet Friends:

A corporation exists to survive; the only way it survives is by making
money. Every decision a corporation makes is related to some sort of profit,
whether it be good will in the public eye or more products sold.

The return on investment is key. In the US, lactation professionals are
working to help businesses understand that the return on investment for a
corporate lactation program is between $3 to $7 for every dollar invested.

Industry funds research; this research can be awesome AND will bring
something to the industry.  We must always be aware of the grasping hand
inside the velvet glove.

Great researchers and guiding intellects of our profession have made use of
this connection, for the good of all: to the best of my understanding, Peter
Hartmann, Diane Spatz, Paula Meier and others are examples of a professional
marriage. It is painful to learn at a conference from the keynote speaker
that the refreshments are courtesy of Medela, and the low cost of the
conference is courtesy of Medela.....will the attendees at such a conference
think of any other name first when asked to name a pump company?

We are vulnerable in our need to improve; industry is right there to lend a
hand.......and extract a toll.

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC
craniosacral therapy practitioner
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com