Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 20:46:54 -0500
I am often called to a Mother and Baby Home near to where I live.  Mothers
go there to "rest" usually after having their babies in a hospital.  Part
of the "deal" is that they can leave their babies in the nursery and ask to
be called when their babies wake for feeding.  Often, particularly at
night, the nursery staff feeling sorry for the mothers, who are very tired
and need to sleep, will bottle feed the babies.  When the babies then go
back to theor mothers and refuse the breast - yes, even after just one
bottle, of course, everyone is surprised and very concerned.  Then they
call me in to pick up the pieces and see if the situation can be rectified.

I would say that 65% of the calls I get from the Home are because of nipple
confusion.  I am a National Childbirth Trust Breastfeeding Counsellor and
Local Tutor, living and practising in London.

Regards, Nena