From:
Virginia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 02:11:39 +1000
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 Barbie Currie wrote:
... 9 month-old baby .... has been diagnosed with "glandular fever" by 2 Paeds.    Her 2 year-old has just
had it.  He was also breastfed.   I cannot find much information about
it.   Can anyone give me some info?   It's years since I heard this term
and suspect that the name may have changed.   What effect does
breastfeeding have on it?   Thanks.

Hi Barbie,
    Yes, 'glandular fever' is better known by other names now, and it is under these names in book indexes. Look for it for 'Epstein-Barr'.  Epstein-Barr' is the virus, and the infection is 'infectious mononucleosis'.
    While I don't have specific info such as you asked for, it is logical to reason that sick infants are going to be healthier from having human milk.  The mother is being exposed to the virus caring for her baby and breastfeeding him, but she has already been enposed to it, having cared for her older child who has had the same infection.  As she isn't sick, I would guess that either she is immune (from a past infection) or is lucky.  If she is immune, her specific protection will be passed on to her baby.
    The info in the Core Curriculum for Lactation Consultant Practice concerns maternal infection, rather than infant infection, and okays continuing breastfeeding (p. 137). Lawrence & Lawrence have similar information in tables on pp. 225, 874, 877.  The only statement about infant infection I've found, in a quick search, is on p. 583 ofLawrence & Lawrence: "... clinically significant illness rarely is associated with primary EBV infection in infants".
    I hope this helps.  By the way, I'm going NO MAIL later today and so can only be reached off-list.
       Virginia
       in hot, humid Brisbane