Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:46:05 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Jean, my understanding, from a point in Alison Hazlebaker's MA thesis/book, is that the idea that the tongue tip grows is only part of the picture and the end result is no difference.  Apparently it's not only the tip that grows, with the result that no difference in effect occurs.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, Alison.)  Alison's work has been a valuable resource to me over the years.

Every case is of course different, as with anything involving humans. It seems some babies manage to compensate so that they can breastfeed more effectively.  What they are doing in their mouths to compensate may, however, may be damaging to the bony structures of the mouth.  This is mentioned very briefly in Carmen Fernando's useful book, p. 10, where she quotes another author.  I have read more detail on this elsewhere, but am not sure of the reference.  Could it be an article by Brian Palmer?

I've noticed that some babies, after the tight frenulum is release, still have problems, after aan early improvement, that con't be explained by the baby's age and the tongue having to relearn the kinesthetics.  A Dr Mukai, from Jalan, has published on this. There is also a published case series from Eastern Europe on babies with other adherions in the oral cavity, i.e. besides tongue tie.  I'll see if I can find the reference.

Once again, as you will be very well aware, each baby with tongue tie will be a little different.  I find each consult I do with a baby with this condition is a learning experience for me - but that's true with so many other situations, and their infinite variations.  In this field, the day I stop learning is the day I'll be worried!

Virginia

>>   I believe Brian Palmer has said the frenulum does not stretch.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the tongue tip grows rapidly and
this may enable some babies with tight frenulums (frenulae?) to latch more
effectively after a couple of weeks.

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
  South Africa   [log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2