From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2014 22:06:30 -0600
http://www.llli.org/nb/nbsepoct93p135.html

I think you have some great ideas, some of which include things I did with my adopted daughter, Julia, who started nursing right at 12 months old.  This article is still up on LLLI site.  (BTW, it's not true that none of my boys got much milk, but the editor made it sound that way. )

To use a feeding tube device with a bottle nipple, the nipple must have only one hole and the hole must be tight enough to form a perfect seal around it.  I've had people tell me it doesn't work, but they had enlarged the nipple hole so they could stick it through, rather than use a yarn needle.  Some moms have used narrower nipples, but I always found a wide-based one to work better.

My third baby went on strike at four months and the only time I could get him to nurse at all was when he was asleep, so I think that's a great idea.  Fortunately, he went back to nursing after just four days.

There have been many adopted children who have started nursing when they were even older than a year.  That fact might help the mom feel a little more hopeful and relax.  She deserves praise for pumping and not giving up on getting her baby back to the breast.