From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:30:34 EDT
"Also, has anybody
worked with a mom who used TWO Isis handpumps in an attempt to
mimic 'double pumping' ?"

Yes, Jeanne, I've had a couple of moms who double pumped with 2 Isis pumps
with good success but this was after supply established.  Am currently in
touch with mom who plans to give double pummping with Isis a trey but made
the statement she didn't know if she was that coordinated and "jokingly" said
she'd then probably have carpel tunnel to deal with.

I'm still unconvinced that Isis is compatible with hosp grade rentals but do
suggest its' use to moms who've not been obtaining adequate amt from rental,
have tried different sized flanges and sometimes these moms just do better
supply/yield wise with Isis.  I think for some it's the sl compression that
occurs, the fact that it's less mechanical looking and more portable, quieter
(I've heard from moms) and these factors seem to hinge on psychological
issues or mom's perceived experience.  It's like whatever elicits most MER
for mom is what produces best results and what the individual mom responds
to; to me that's the key.

Again I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting Isis use for mom of premie,
exclusively pumping, or in dire need of increased supply, but find it useful
sometimes later on when pumping goes on for a long time or later on if mom
not resonding to rental as well.

And try as I might, I have a hard time getting moms to learn effective manual
expression, tho some use to relieve engorgement or to soften breast.  Hope
this helps and if you'd like to get first hand info, I think the mom who's
about to try double Isis would speak/email you directly-she has 5 mos old,
part time work, etc.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY