From:
Patricia Blomme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 22:22:28 -0700
Clear DayHi again,

The topic of breast surgery has really peaked my interest. For a couple of
reasons...........

#1 I am amazed that the fact that the woman breastfed her first child would
not be taken into consideration as part of the surgical planning of how to
reduce breast size and still preserve the ability to lactate in future.

Once again this is an example of how little consideration that breastfeeding
gets outside of the maternal world of OBs, Peds, LCs and the like. It keeps
bringing back to me just how much work has to be done. Obviously the subject
never even came up in the pre-surgical preparation and the mother did not
know enough about lactation to inquire about it until it was too late.

#2 I am curious about if anyone has worked with burn victims. (Okay this is
a personal request). I have been told by Verity Livingston (Vancouver
Breastfeeding Clinic, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) that because the
burn occurred as a 6 yr old that the breast buds would be permanently
damaged and therefore I would be unable to lactate.

Well, I have a fully developed burn scarred breast that has full nipple
sensation (more than the other I might add!!), just that there is no
openings for the milk to come out. The breast does go through pregnancy
changes, engorges with milk at 48 hours postpartum and requires 1 week of
cold cabbage to involute.

My question is has anyone ever worked with a burn victim that has had breast
damage and had surgery to open up the milk ducts? And how was it done? And
if surgery was done, were all the ducts opened? If not....what kind of
problems were encountered?

I would appreciate being directed to any information. I have searched many
different places to investigate this info but it just doesn't seem to exist.

TIA for any and all replies.

Patricia Blomme
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
(who is very glad she has one perfectly functioning breast the serves her
three year old, and soon to be born, just fine) : o )