Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 23:22:03 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Hello, Anna.
    I do think the deep suctioning and the unpleasantness of the early breastfeeding experience (being pushed on) could be contributing to this poor baby's reaction at breast.  Others have made good suggestions, but I don't think I saw this one as I was catching up on posts:  Have you suggested to mom to spend time in a warm bath together with baby?  Sometimes that can lead to a "re-birth" that helps baby to make peace with her early experiences and move past them.  It can take several baths together for the effect to happen.  And even if a "re-birth" doesn't occur, just spending warm, quiet time together, without expectation of nursing but allowing it to happen it if does, can be very pleasant for mom and baby.  I have worked with several mothers who found the bath such a relaxing, enjoyable time with their babies that they continued to do it every day even though their babies never did figure out how to latch and breastfeed.  These moms felt it really helped them connect with their babies since they were missing the breastfeeding.  Of course, the baths have also helped quite a few moms finally get breastfeeding going well.  So, it couldn't hurt, and might help.
    Dee Kassing, LLLL, IBCLC
    Collinsville, IL in central USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2