Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 21:57:09 EDT
People have mentioned the "baby friendly" contract that the Chicago Hope mom
had signed.  The only thing similar that I have heard of is a type of informed
consent where the mom indicates how she wants to feed her baby while in the
hospital.  The one I have seen gives 3 choices -- 1) exclusive breastfeeding
(unless medically indicated...)   2) partial breastfeeding, and  3) ABM
feeding.  Along with the feeding methods were benefits of breastfeeding and
risks of other methods, I believe.  This is presented as a way for a mom to
make an informed choice on how she wants to feed her baby and to communicate
it to the hospital staff.
I'm sure some of you know more about this type of form than I do.  Do you
think this is the type of contract that they were referring to?
Also, someone mentioned the lack of grief counseling that the bereaved parents
received.  I, too, was surprised that no-one came to their side to comfort
them.

Lori Salisbury, RN, IBCLC
Spokane, WA