From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 12:52:08 -0500
I'll be meeting tomorrow with the mother of a 1 month old with a cleft of
the soft palate "about the size of a pencil eraser."  The baby will latch
but, of course, doesn't create suction.

I know that some such babies are able to milk the breast if the mom can
hold it deeply enough in the baby's mouth.  And I've read Edith Grady's
stories of nursing her twins, one of whom had a soft palate cleft.  Any
other tips that might be of use?  How likely is this baby to be even
partially breastfed before the cleft is closed?  Is an SNS, squeezed, a
good option?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY