From:
cmcarnaby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:28:22 -0800
After reading Maureen's post of Feb 8, re NICU mom and desparate to increase
milk production, I am interested to know how many other NICUs use the
Clas**c pump as their standard when mother and baby are separated.

In my community, not many rental depots carry this pump anymore. Most here
regard the Lac**na as the standard and the equivalent of a "hospital grade
pump".

I concur with Maureen's statements about the Clas**c "has a better emptying
effect", but it is merely anecedotal.  Does anyone know of scientific
articles (other than Rental Roundup) that compare the two?  I am suspicious
of  'scientific data' published by the company that manufactures the
product.

Several years ago, I left a hospital NICU-LC position where the majority of
mothers rented the classic. At one time, way back when..., the Clas**c and
S*B were the only types of pump to rent. I seem to recall that the Lac**na
was introduced  as an alternative for working mothers or short term
separations. Now it seems to be the gold standard, even in NICUs.

Also, I am interested to see how the Whit******** brand is doing with this
population of pumping mothers.

Cathy Carnaby, RNC, IBCLC
NICU Lactation Consultant