From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 09:59:52 -0500
Jay:  G2P2 means Gravida 2 Para 2.  Gravida is the number of pregnancies,
while Para is the number of babies carried to viability, i.e. could
potentially survive outside the womb (I don't know if this has changed,
but it used to be past 20 or 24 weeks, I'm not sure what that actual age
of gestation is).  This is regardless of whether the baby actually
survives.  The complete shorthand would be G2P2002, which means two
pregnancies, 2 carried to viability, no stillbirths, no miscarriages or
abortions, and 2 live children.  So a mother of twins would be designated
G1P2, and a mother with a history of repeated miscarriages might have
something like G4P1031 (meaning 4 pregnancies, 1 carried to viability, no
stillbirths, 3 miscarriages and 1 live child).  Hope this helps. Alicia.