From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:13:11 -0400
Hi Kika and Darillyn,

I thought I'd chime in as a milk donor...I donated milk to a friend of
mine for a full year for her son (now 2.5) and also sent a shipment
when he was just 2 since I had a newborn then and LOTS of extra milk
and she figured it couldn't harm him.  She is expecting next january
and I have started pumping (6 mos in the deep freeze ;-)) already.

She asked that I get tested for HIV and HepB&C within the last 6 mos,
like the milk banks do.  Which I gladly did.

I also donated 100 oz to the only Canadian milk bank a few weeks back
and am just waiting on the blood test results to send them so they can
actually *use* the milk.  ;-)

I also nursed one friend's son directly at the breast.

I do feel like you, Darillyn, that there is more chance of good coming
from a donation than harm, though I realize that there is a risk
nowadays and I do totally understand people who don't like the idea of
donated milk.

Just my experience and thoughts.

Fio
ressource person with Allaitement Québec (and By the Way, my donation
is not endorsed in any way by my organism, for waht it's worth...)
Mama to Sandrine, 3.5 yrs, and Nyssa, almost 9 mos, tandem nursing.