From:
Leslie Cree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:26:17 -0400
Simultaneous treatment for mother and baby is essential. Also, identifying
sources of reinfection--breastpump parts, pacifiers, toys, burp
cloths,nursing bra and/or nursing pads, baby's cloth diapers, etc. is
necessary. Using paper towels for handwashing and not reusing face cloths
or burp rags until they are washed in hot water and dried ideally in the
sun or in a hot clothes dryer. Mom should boil all toys, nipples, etc. for
1 week during treatment then discard and get new. If her budget is
limited, she could soak these items in a 1 tbs white vinegar to 1 cup
water solution prior to boiling to see if that helps. Also look at Mom's
diet and eliminate anything that yeast thrives on--processed foods, white
flour, white sugar, caffeine, dairy products, and add a good probiotic
with acidophilus to both mom and baby's daily regimen. I hope these tips
help to identify the reason the thrush is so persistent. It can be
excruciatingly painful to deal with. There are other things that can be
done, but Mom may be pretty tired of the situation, so these are starters
that she can feel proactive about without remembering to take more
medicine or get yet another prescription filled. Post back or to me
privately if you need more info. Personal aside, we battled the thrush
beast for months before eradicating it. Your Mom has my full sympathy!